Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Our UX Research team is designing for the global diversity of human needs, which requires us to deeply understand the behaviors of the people behind them. Facebook Inc. UX researchers tackle some of the most complex challenges to gain deeper insights into how people interact with each other and the world around them, and work collaboratively to contribute new ideas to products that impact the experiences of billions of people on a global scale. We employ a variety of qualitative and quantitative methods to accomplish our goals, including surveys, focus groups, field studies, usability tests, and 1:1 interviews. We value a diverse range of perspectives and stem from many different backgrounds-geographically, culturally, educationally, philosophically. We come from industry and academia, with roots in anthropology, design research, economics, HCI, human factors, market research, political science, sociology, social computing, and social psychology, among others. Facebook Inc. is looking for a UX Research Manager with research, communication and people management skills. Facebook Inc. is a diverse set of products - it's ripe for research. But figuring out the right research, the appropriate involvement, and the ideal touch points is a delicate balance, especially in a process-averse culture. What makes a good candidate? Someone who has exceptional research skills, but who also understands the balance between scrappy and rigor, and ultimately how research translates into design and product decisions. It's not enough to answer interesting questions about user behavior; our team focuses on impact. You will oversee a team of world-class researchers across a key product vertical, and across multiple research disciplines.
- Build and manage high-performing teams with researchers of different disciplines.
- Independently manage day-to-day activities and complex situations. Identify problems and solutions around escalations.
- Set clear expectations and goals for direct reports and collective team while holding individuals and team accountable for success.
- Build and develop a research toolkit that extends across all levels of complexity.
- Successfully partner with other research teams across the Facebook Inc. organization.
- Build strong relationships with other research teams at Facebook Inc. to ensure a cohesive and cross-functional vision for Research at Facebook Inc.
- Become a trusted, strategic partner to product stakeholders by communicating and demonstrating the value of user research, and by delivering insights that lead to demonstrable business value.
- Partner with the recruiting organization to build diverse teams and inclusive environments.
- Provide clear, actionable feedback and support to develop and grow individuals
- work closely with underperformers to help them meet expectations.
- Determine team composition, placement decisions and hiring strategy.
- Mentor other managers (research or cross functional) at multiple levels.
- Resource Allocation - ensure we are always focusing on the highest priority things, focusing both on the short term needs as well as looking ahead to the next big challenge.
- Bachelor's degree or significant experience conducting UX research with meaningful business impact
- 10+ years of experience conducting and/or studying research post-Bachelor's degree
- 2+ years experience directly managing, coaching and developing full-time researchers
- Experience directly managing across different research methodologies
- Experience directly conducting primary research (either qualitative or quantitative) end-to-end (i.e., designing, fielding, analyzing and reporting out data)
- Experience building teams over time through hiring, growing, and retaining high-performing researchers
- Track record of translating research into business impact
- Experience working with a variety of cross-functional peers and stakeholders (e.g., product managers, data scientists, designers, engineers, policy, communications, marketing)
- Graduate degree
- Experience with consumer products, consumer insights, or product development
- 2+ years of UX research experience
Equal Opportunity: Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.