Mental Health Technician
+ **Job ID** :105098
+ **Job Category:** Behavioral Health/Psychology
+ **Specialty Area:** Behavioral Health/Psychology
+ **Primary Shift:** Day
+ **Work Schedule:** 12 Hour Shift: 7:30AM - 8:00PM
+ **Penn Medicine Entity:** Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
+ **Location:** Philadelphia, PA
+ **Address:** 501 S 54th St
+ **Education Required:** Per Position Description
+ **Experience Required:** Per Position Description
+ **Employment Type:** Full-Time Regular
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
**Position Description** :
Under the direction of the Registered Nurse, the Mental Health Technician is responsible for the performance of selected patient care activities that do not require full counseling certification or professional nurse skills, judgment and knowledge.
• Demonstrates an understanding of the communication skills of listening, seeking clarification and sending clear messages at
• Consistently demonstrates understanding of the difficulties patients face in attending to activities of daily life.
• Participates with the nurse in altering the discharge plan as indicated by the patient progress made during the shift.
• Always maintains a non-judgmental, non-threatening and therapeutic approach with patients.
• Implements appropriate actions for assigned patients to achieve goals at all times.
• Sets limits with assigned patients according to the team treatment plan at all times.
• Provides reality orientation for assigned patients at all times.
• Daily supports patients in performing the activities of daily living in a helpful and non-punitive manner at all times.
• Maintains therapeutic and dignified behavior with patients and families.
• Demonstrates knowledge and compliance with the Hospital Safety and Infection Control policies as required by OSHA and
the Patient Safety Program.
• Demonstrating through one the following: policy implementation, direct observation, video review / testing, skills lab /
proficiency testing, or written exam).
• Identifies safety problems encountered during the course of work that if corrected may result in the prevention of
accident/injury to patients, employees and visitors and reports problems to appropriate supervisor.
• Consistently demonstrates knowledge of universal precautions, isolation procedures, and other infection control measures.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
**Minimum Requirements** :
H.S. Diploma/GED with 2 years experience (paid or unpaid)in human service field. This experience must involve direct contact with the individual receiving service (i.e. coaching, teaching, case management ,etc.)
A Bachelor's Degree is preferred With major course work in sociology, social work, psychology, gerontology, anthropology, political science, history, criminal justice, theology, nursing, counseling, education or a related field.
CPR Certification is required.
**Additional Information** :
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Penn Medicine http://www.pennmedicine.org/careers/
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.