University Faculty Anthropology
Requisition Number: F00220P: Sociology Anthropology
The Department of Sociology & Anthropology in the College of Social & Behavioral Sciences at Weber State University invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor position in Cultural Anthropology. The appointment will be effective July 1, 2022. We seek candidates whose research and pedagogy has an applied focus and who are willing to explore areas of cross-disciplinary collaboration in accordance with their area of expertise. The successful candidate will be encouraged to develop creative opportunities for student involvement in high-impact, community-based learning experiences, with an eye towards skills development and preparation for academic and non-academic careers.
The successful candidate should be prepared to undertake teaching duties in our core major courses (theory, research methods, capstone), general education courses (four-field introduction to anthropology, linguistic anthropology), as well as upper-level courses in the candidate’s fields of expertise. They will be expected to facilitate and mentor student research, internships and/or other applied community projects in the context of their teaching and/or research. In addition, the position requires service activities at the department, college and/or university level.
• Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Anthropology by the position start date.
• A demonstrated record of teaching excellence, and the ability to engage with and mentor a diverse student body, particularly first-generation and minority students.
• A record of research productivity as demonstrated by scholarly presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
• Ethnographically-grounded research, experience or expertise in one or more of the following areas: applied anthropology, linguistic anthropology or sociocultural linguistics, bilingualism and education, Latinx studies, migration and border studies, environmental or resource anthropology, environmental justice, sustainability, indigenous approaches to land use, sovereignty and/or health, medical anthropology, or public health. While we are open to any area of geographic focus, candidates working in the western U.S. and/or any region of Latin America or the Caribbean are particularly encouraged to apply.
• A record of and commitment to student mentorship, student research and/or community-based, high impact learning.
• Ability to develop applied, practice-oriented projects in local or regional contexts that could involve students.
• Willingness to explore areas of cross-disciplinary collaboration in accordance with area of expertise, and which complement institutional and/or departmental strengths.
• A record of external funding or contracts.
Background Check? Yes
WSU offers a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement, a wellness program with release time and paid incentives, tuition benefits, free tickets to athletic and performing arts events, and paid holidays.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Open Date: 11/08/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Notes to Applicants:
The position comes with a generous https://www.weber.edu/wsuimages/HumanResources/Benefits%20Overview/Faculty%20Benefits%202021-22.pdf. To apply, please complete the online application and attach these six items:
• a curriculum vitae;
• a cover letter explaining how you match program hiring expectations with regard to your teaching, research experience and future professional plans;
• a short statement of your teaching philosophy and teaching style;
• a summary statement and sample of recent teaching evaluations;
• one or two samples of your published research or unpublished manuscripts in PDF format; and
• the names and contact information of three professional references.
Review of applications will begin December 15, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled. Criminal background check required as a condition of employment. Weber State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
The Anthropology Program has offered BA and BS degrees since 2000, and is committed to a four fields approach. Today, the program has over 100 declared anthropology majors and 25 minors with 5 full-time anthropology faculty. The program consists of an archaeology track and a general anthropology track, the latter with an emphasis on cultural anthropology. Weber State University is a comprehensive public institution that was founded in 1889, and has established a reputation as one of the premier undergraduate teaching institutions in the intermountain West. The university has embedded the goal of becoming a Hispanic Serving Institution within its strategic plan, and has a strong collaborative relationship with communities in northern Utah, particularly with the city of Ogden through the Ogden Community Action Network. WSU is a leading proponent of sustainability in the Intermountain West, hosting the annual Intermountain Sustainability Summit, and has been recognized with the Community Engagement Classification from the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching for its work in partnership with numerous community organizations in the region. Weber State University serves over 28,000 students, who are enrolled in associate, baccalaureate, and graduate degrees in business, education, health professions, technology, and the liberal arts and sciences. The University is located in Ogden, Utah, north of Salt Lake City on the western slopes of the Wasatch Mountains. The area offers a wide variety of cultural, educational, and year-round outdoor recreation experiences. Additional information concerning Weber State University is available at http://www.weber.edu.
Physical Activity of this position: Expressing or exchanging ideas. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important instructions to other workers accurately or quickly. , Ability to receive detailed information with or without assistance.
Physical Requirements of this position: Light work. Exerting up to 20 lbs of force occasionally and/or up to 10 lbs of force frequently and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Use of arm and/or leg controls exerting forces greater than that for sedentary work.
Visual Acuity Requirements including color, depth perception and field of vision: Required to perform activities such as preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; using a computer terminal; extensive reading.
The conditions the worker will be subject to in this position: None. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2630679
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.