LOCATION: Pittsfield Public Schools/City Hall
The Chief Diversity Officer is responsible for administering and leading the Diversity and Inclusion goals and objectives of the Pittsfield Public School. The employee is responsible to apply these objectives in the areas of recruitment and retention, leadership career
development, cultural competency training, and strategic planning. The employee is required to perform all similar or related duties.
The primary areas of accountability include compliance, advocacy and education. The incumbent serves as advisor and resource person for management and staff in the areas of diversity, inclusion, equity, and may serve as a liaison in investigation of concerns
across City & PPS that pertains to discrimination or harassment. Incumbent will possess exemplary communication skill with a passion to educate and effectuate change.
* Plans, guides and advises on diversity, equity, inclusion and affirmative action matters. Collaborates with City and School management to create, implement and monitor programs designed to ensure fair and equitable treatment of employees, students, and constituents.
* Leads in implementing strategic initiatives, including the creation of a culture for equity, diversity, and inclusion.
* Partners with City and School management, employees, students, community leaders, and other internal and external constituencies to ensure programing supports Pittsfield's values and strategic goals.
* Manage ongoing relationships with internal and external partners (e.g., ROPE, BRIDGE, PPD, PFD, Pittsfield Public Schools)
* Conducts or provides direction for training initiatives on cultural competency, gender differences, disability, LGBTQ+issues, sexual harassment, building a climate of equity and inclusion, and other topics designed to increase awareness and support of equity and inclusion values, and maintaining compliance with applicable laws.
* Acts as the staff liaison to the Affirmative Action Committee (or other similar committees); collaborate with Chairperson on the vision of the committee, etc. The employee is responsible for advising on progress on D&I goals. Supports other diversity councils and multicultural event programming sponsored by the City or PPS.
* Promotes Pittsfield's commitment to a climate of equity, diversity, and inclusion through interactions with City & PPS employees, students, elected officials, and the community.
* Represents Pittsfield to external community, organizations, and agencies. Collaborates with external and internal constituency groups to promote and advance D.E.I.
* Serves as the Affirmative Action Officer; manages and oversees compliance with the City's Affirmative Action programming, including any reporting requirements (refer to affirmative action ordinances).
* Collaborates with the City and School's human resources department on efforts surrounding recruitment and retention; Build relationships with external talent pipelines who specialize in recruiting candidates from underrepresented backgrounds.
* May assist with investigatory matters that include claims of discrimination and harassment.
* Assesses and monitors program effectiveness and keeps management informed of equal opportunity progress and issues through periodic reports. Measure ROI and communicates outcomes to key stakeholders/champions on a regular basis; create executive summaries and provide recommendations for improving metrics.
* Responsible to oversee compliance with the Equal Opportunity Employment standards and relevant city, state and federal statutes.
* Attends DEI related conferences, trainings, and professional development opportunities.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
* A Bachelor's degree in public administration, social justice, post-secondary education, sociology, social anthropology, human resource management or other related field. Master's degree is strongly preferred.
* 5-7 years of experience advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in a complex organization, preferably in government,
* Experience performing the duties described in previous section may substitute for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
* Experience working in an affirmative action and EEO compliance function, creating and utilizing related reporting.
* Thorough knowledge of City/School department operations preferred.
* Strong ability using computer and internet software, social media, and web site use.
* Comprehensive knowledge and ability to explain departmental positions verbally and in writing to employees, legal departments and other departments in the City and PPS.
* Maintain an understanding of the Pittsfield City Ordinances.
* Ability to work independently and be self-motivated; ability to perform multiple tasks in a detailed, timely, accurate, and organized manner.
* Ability to interact effectively and appropriately with the public and other departments and/or City personnel, elected officials, students, and community at-large.
* Proficient written and oral communications skills; Effective presentation skills; Proficient customer service skills.
* Valid Massachusetts's Driver's License.
SALARY: $69,717.93 - $90,633.31
Please upload your application materials including the posting number to: