McCormick Taylor, Inc.'s Cultural Resources Group is seeking to hire an Archaeological Field Director level position (Archaeologist II) in our Harrisburg, PA office. This is a full-time permanent position with benefits.
• Must be capable of supervising technicians and other support personnel
• Day to day supervision of assigned field investigations, laboratory analysis, and preparation of technical reports under supervision of Principal Investigator (PI)
• Able to execute testing methodologies and excavations with minimal to moderate oversight by PI
• Demonstrating emerging skills in communication with clients, various state and federal agencies, and property owners
• Successfully complete field projects within allotted time frame and budget, diagnose and communicate any issues causing delays to PI
• Possess strong written and verbal communication skills, and be able to work in a fast-paced team environment
• Begin to assist in designing project methodologies and writing technical approaches for proposals
• Must be able to author sections of reports relevant to their tasks and responsibilities and assist in the production of quality reports for all phases of archaeological projects
• Ability to take direction from supervisors and recognize when they should ask questions
• 3+ years previous experience as Field Director or 5-7+ years experience in archaeological field investigations
• B.A. Anthropology/Archaeology with significant previous experience as field director. M.A. Anthropology/Archaeology or related field (e.g., History, American Studies) preferred.
• Register of Professional Archaeologist (RPA) or Registered Archaeologist (RA) optional
• Proficient in identification of site stratigraphy and understanding site formation processes
• Accredited Archaeological Field School
• Ability to use the following in the field: GPS
• Working knowledge of GIS
• Previous experience as a Tech or Field/Lab Director on Phase I, Phase II, and Phase III level field and/or lab projects
• Previously authored or assisted in authoring sections of reports
• Previous experience supervising Technicians
• Some experience with artifact analysis
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Access, and Excel
Candidates should be able to perform all potential field-related activities including strenuous fieldwork in varied weather conditions, hiking, and carrying gear. The ability to travel to conduct fieldwork is a must. When project travel is required, per diem, hotel room accommodations, and travel mileage are provided. Candidates must have a valid driver's license, be able to drive, and have access to reliable transportation.
The position requires the ability to process field data in accordance with MT standards. All employees are expected to comply with MT company policies including COVID-19 safety protocols for travel and fieldwork.
Please submit your resume, compensation expectations, and the names and contact information of at least three professional references to (url removed) for consideration.
We value your interest in our organization! At McCormick Taylor, our people are our greatest asset. If you join us, we hope for the opportunity to grow and succeed together. We offer an unparalleled, comprehensive benefits package-including no-deductible medical plans, free vision and dental plans, programs to enhance work-life balance, and flexible and hybrid work schedules.
McCormick Taylor is an Equal Opportunity Employer that strongly supports and celebrates the unique backgrounds of all of our employees and our applicants. Our commitment to inclusion spans age, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, and physical and mental ability. Our focus is on building a culture that promotes, supports, and values the diverse backgrounds and voices of our employees so that everyone feels welcome and can succeed. We strive to build a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve.
To find out more information on our benefits and culture, click the links below.