Over land and under water, SEARCH is an archaeology firm that deploys the full spectrum of cultural heritage services worldwide. SEARCH2O, our maritime program, is at the forefront of historic shipwreck and submerged precontact archaeology, paleolandscape reconstruction, and deep-water archaeology. We are cultural resource industry leaders, pioneers, and subject matter experts across 44 markets, regions, and research sectors. Since 1993, we have completed more than 4,000 Commercial and Government projects in 47 US states, 6 US territories, and 34 countries spanning 5 continents and 3 oceans. By integrating science, technology, and creativity, we harness the power of the past to advance the projects, places, and people we serve.
As an Archaeologist, you will support multiple archaeological monitoring, survey, and excavation projects related to transportation infrastructure improvement projects nationwide, with assignments primarily occurring in South Florida and the Southeastern United States.
Essential Duties and Functions
* Adhere to project health and safety plans and participate in office and field trainings and meetings.
* Conduct archaeological monitoring, survey, testing, and excavation in support of Phase I, II, and III studies in accordance with the research design to identify, record, and evaluate historic and prehistoric cultural resources.
* Recognize archaeological signatures and apply reasoning to evaluate resources.
* Evaluate and record accurate, organized, and clear field notes, maps, drawings, logs, forms, tables, databases, artifact bags, box labels, and other project documentation.
* Collect and inventory artifacts, ecofacts, and samples in accordance with the research design, and keep an accurate field specimen log.
* Identify potential human and faunal remains, and treat any suspected human burial remains respectfully and in a manner consistent with the research design and applicable State and Federal guidelines and laws.
* Perform quality control of field data (hand-written and electronic) on a daily basis to ensure information is accurate and complete.
* Use electronic and traditional navigational equipment (GPS, iPad/ArcCollector/Survey 123, compass, transit, etc.) to determine project limits, record fieldwork, document findings, and communicate progress.
* Photo-document artifacts, features, excavation units, land use, landscapes, unique environmental features, historic structures, archaeology sites, unique environmental features, specialized equipment or technique usage, and work-in-progress.
* Procure and maintain field equipment, technology, field laboratory supplies, vehicles, and supplies in a clean, working, and safe manner.
* Occasionally meet with, coordinate, and collaborate with landowners, land agents, clients, other field research teams, and visiting regulatory agency staff.
* Travel for extended periods of time.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Cover letter
* Work samples (if available)
* Send all inquiries to:
* Include the Job Posting code (ARCH-SF-2021) in the subject line of your email
Other Important Need-to-Know Information
* This position will be based at the Hollywood, Florida, SEARCH office.
* Applicants must be eligible to be employed in the United States.
* Applicants must have reliable transportation.
* This position requires frequent travel.
* SEARCH offers a competitive total compensation package with strong health and wellness and retirement plans.
* Pay is commensurate with education and experience.
* SEARCH is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where a variety of backgrounds, cultures, orientations, ideas, and talents can flourish.
* SEARCH is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
* SEARCH is an Affirmative Action Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace.
* Employment offers are contingent upon satisfactory verification of criminal, education, driving, and/or employment background checks, as well as passing results from a pre-employment drug screen.
For more information about SEARCH, please visit [ and follow us on Facebook [ Instagram [ and LinkedIn [
* Masters degree in Archaeology, Anthropology, or a related field.
* Minimum one (1) year combined archaeological field experience at an accredited archaeological field school and/or professional cultural resources firm.
* Minimum 6 months archaeological experience in South Florida.
* Meet the Secretary of the Interior (SOI) qualifications for archaeology.
* Proficiency in verbal and written communication in Spanish.
* Must demonstrate knowledge of and familiarity with performing archaeological monitoring, survey and excavation in South Florida.
* Ability to perform physically demanding tasks in variable terrain and environments.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* A valid drivers license and access to reliable transportation.
SEARCH Compensation and Benefits include:
* Competitive Salary
* Per Diem (for overnight travel)
* SEARCH-subsidized Group Health Insurance (including Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage)
* SEARCH-provided Short-Term Disability Insurance
* SEARCH-provided Long-Term Disability Insurance
* SEARCH-provided Group Term Life Insurance
* Voluntary Life Insurance
* Employee Assistance Program
* Emergency Travel Assistance
* Generous 401(k) Retirement Plan
* Paid Holidays (10)
* Paid Time Off (PTO)
* Merit-Based Raises, Bonuses, and Promotions