*Job Number:* 500198
*Work Type:* Full Time with Full Benefits
*Location:* Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
*Department:* Allopathic-Medical Education
*Categories:* Faculty - Health Professions
*About Us:**We are excited that you are considering joining Nova Southeastern University!*
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) was founded in 1964, and is a not-for-profit, independent university with a reputation for academic excellence and innovation. Nova Southeastern University offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including tuition waiver, retirement plan, excellent medical and dental plans and much more. NSU cares about the health, welfare and its students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors and is a tobacco-free university.
We appreciate your support in making NSU the preeminent place to live, work, study and grow. Thank you for your interest in a career with Nova Southeastern University.
NSU considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
*Job Title:*Faculty (Rank TBD)/Director of Behavioral Health Education/Physician Educator - 992484*Location:*Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida*Work Type:*Full Time with Full Benefits*Job Category:*Exempt*Hiring Range:*Commensurate with experience*Pay Basis:*Annually *Subject to Grant Funding?:*No *Essential Job Functions:*1. Plans, evaluates, and revises curricula, course/block content, course/block materials, and methods of instruction.
2. Prepares course/block materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, test questions, and handouts.
3. Prepares materials for laboratory activities and course/block materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
4. Compiles bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
5. Initiates, facilitates, and moderates PBL and TBL discussions.
6. Assists students who need extra help with their coursework outside of class.
7. Maintains student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
8. Evaluates and grades students' class work, laboratory and clinic work, assignments, and papers.
9. Compiles, administers, and grades examinations, or assigns this work to others.
10. Maintains regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
11. Advises students on academic and vocational curricula and on career issues.
12. Assesses medical student needs using a variety of methods.
13. Collaborates with colleagues to address teaching and research issues.
14. Serves on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
15. Participates in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
16. Participates in campus and community events, such as giving presentations to the public.
17. Conducts research in a particular field of knowledge and publishes findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
18. Reviews papers for publication in journals.
19. Supervises undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
20. Mentors students and junior faculty members.
21. Keeps abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
22. Performs other duties as assigned or required.*Marginal Job Functions:* *Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:*Knowledge:
1. Medicine - Comprehensive knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventative health-care measures.
2. Biology - Thorough knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
3. Education & Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
4. English Language - Thorough knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
5. Psychology - General knowledge of human behavior and performance, individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
6. Customer & Personal Service - General knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of user satisfaction.
7. Therapy & Counseling - General knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
8. Sociology & Anthropology - General knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
9. Mathematics - General knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
10. Administration & Management - General knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, budgeting, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
1. Advanced skills in talking to others to convey information effectively.
2. Proficient skills in teaching others how to do something.
3. Proficient understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
4. Proficient skills in communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
5. Proficient skills in selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
6. Proficient skills in understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
7. Proficient skills in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
8. Proficient skills in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
9. Proficient skills in monitoring / assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
1. The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
2. The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
3. The ability to read and understand information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
4. The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
5. The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
1. Speech Recognition - Must be able to identify and understand the speech of another person.
2. Speech Clarity - Must be able to speak clearly so others can understand you.
3. May be exposed to short, intermittent, and/or prolonged periods of sitting and/or standing in performance of job duties.
4. May be required to accomplish job duties using various types of equipment/supplies, to include but not limited to pens, pencils, mobile devices, and computer keyboards.*Job Requirements:*For Assistant Professor Rank:
1. Doctoral or terminal degree.
2. College-level teaching experience.
For Associate Professor Rank:
1. Doctoral or terminal degree.
2. Continuing professional growth and success in full-time university teaching for four (4) years at the rank of Assistant Professor.
3. Scholarly contributions to the University, higher education, or one's academic area(s) of specialization that have received peer recognition
For Professor Rank:
1. Doctoral or terminal degree.
2. Continuing professional growth and success in full-time university teaching for five (5) years at the rank of Associate Professor.
3. Significant scholarly contributions to the University, higher education, or one's academic area(s) of specialization that have been recognized as substantial by one's peers.*Required Certifications/Licensures:* *Required Education:*Terminal Degree (Highest degree in field of study)*Major (if required):*M.D. or D.O.*Required Experience:*Three (3) years of evidence of excellence in teaching in a health care setting.*Preferred Qualifications:*1. Three (3) years of evidence of excellence in teaching in a medical school. Experience in case-based learning (including Problem-based or Team-based learning).
2. Experience in LCME accreditation activities and development of new medical schools.*Is this a safety sensitive position?*No *Background Screening Required?*No *Pre-Employment Conditions:* *Sensitivity Disclaimer:*Nova Southeastern University is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.* * * * *Advertised:* Jul 02, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time