Join Cardno's Science and Environment team in Indianapolis, IN or Louisville, KY to play an integral role in doing archaeological survey, testing, data recovery, and monitoring.
Cardno is seeking an Archaeological Field Director to work out of its Indianapolis, Indiana or Louisville, Kentucky office. Responsibilities include conducting background research, directing archaeological fieldwork, completing laboratory analysis and report preparation, and coordinating with other Cardno staff to ensure the quality of data, fieldwork, and paperwork.
Qualifications include an M.A. in anthropology/archaeology or related field. Applicants must have experience leading field crews in Midwest archaeological contexts. Familiarity with Section 106, NEPA, and other cultural resource regulations also required. Technical experience operating a GPS receiver, Total Station, and managing GIS data is a plus.
Qualified applicants should exhibit good leadership qualities, strong technical skills, good communication skills, and feel comfortable making tactical decisions in the field.
- Master's degree in Anthropology or closely related field
- Must meet Secretary of the Interior's Professional Qualifications Standards as an Archaeologist
- Experience writing and producing technical reports for SHPO or other agency review
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as Adobe Acrobat
- Strong field supervisory skills and experience with both small and large crews
- Ability to complete physically demanding tasks in remote areas and/or subtropical climate, including walking, hiking, carrying loads up to 50 pounds, and digging
- Frequent out-of-town travel, potentially for extended periods of time
- Minimum 2 years' experience preferred
- Knowledge and experience working with Section 106 of National Historic Preservation Act; NEPA experience is a plus, as is FERC, DOD, FHWA, or USACE project experience
- Experience with Trimble GPS equipment and associated software
- Prefer current listing on Midwest SHPO Professional Archaeologist rosters or ability to become listed
Equal Opportunity statement for US based applicants
Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources.
Cardno does not accept unsolicited resumes from any 3rd party agencies. No fee will be paid to 3rd parties who submit unsolicited resumes to any Cardno employee. Resumes from approved vendors must be specifically requested by Cardno and approved by the Cardno Talent Acquisition Team.