Working Title Environmental GIS Specialist (TSC) - Fort Collins, CO
Position Location Fort Collins, CO
Research Professional Position Yes
Posting Number 202101158AP
Position Type Admin Professional/ Research Professional
Classification Title Research Associate I
Number of Vacancies 1
Work Hours/Week 40
Proposed Annual Salary Range $45,000 - $55,000
Colorado State University ( CSU ) is committed to providing employees with a strong and competitive benefits package that supports you, your health, and your family. Visit CSU's Human Resources website for detailed benefit plan information for permanent full-time and part-time faculty and administrative professional employees in the following University benefit areas: https://hr.colostate.edu/hr-community-and-supervisors/benefits/benefits-eligibility/ & https://hr.colostate.edu/prospective-employees/our-perks/.
Desired Start Date 11/22/2021
Position End Date (if temporary)
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59pm (MT) on 11/01/2021
Description of Work Unit
CEMML is a research, education and service unit within the Warner College of Natural Resources at CSU . CEMML applies the latest and most appropriate science to promote the sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense ( DOD ) and other public lands. We provide technical support, conduct applied research, and offer career development and learning opportunities to support resource stewardship. We collaborate with our sponsors and within CSU to resolve complex environmental issues, leaving a legacy of science-based decisions that sustain our resources for future generations. To learn more about CEMML's contributions to land management, our mission, vision, and values, visit http://www.cemml.colostate.edu/.
An Environmental Geographic Information System ( GIS ) Specialist (Research Associate I) position is available with the Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands to be assigned in Fort Collins, CO to provide support for the US Air Force Environmental GIS project, which provides comprehensive GIS support services and data maintenance for over 100 installations.
Required Job Qualifications
- The successful candidate must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. by the proposed start date; CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
- BA/BS degree in natural resources management, environmental science, geography, geographic information systems ( GIS ), history, anthropology, or computer science.
- Minimum one year (twelve months) of demonstrated work experience is required in environmental-related GIS . Course work will not be included.
- The successful candidate also must have demonstrated training and experience using GIS software, database management software, global positioning system technology, and geospatial technical writing and documentation.
- Superior written and oral communication skills are required.
- Travel to selected Air Force installations may be required for data collection and development.
- Must have a valid driver's license of the ability to obtain a driver's license or access to a licensed driver by the employment start date.
Beginning Monday, August 16, 2021, Colorado State University has mandated vaccinations against COVID -19. Faculty and staff are required to submit their vaccine status or declare an exemption. More information about the vaccination mandate can be found on the CSU COVID -19 Information & Resources site here: https://covid.colostate.edu/pandemic-preparedness-team-broad-guidance-for-all-summer-and-fall-2021-activities/.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Spatial Data Standards for Facilities, Infrastructure, and Environment ( SDSFIE ) especially version 3.0 or higher.
- Experience using GPS for data collection.
- Managing spatial data in geodatabases or Microsoft Access databases.
- Knowledge and experience in U.S. Air Force GeoBase program and with U.S. Air Force environmental programs are beneficial.
- Related work experience with U.S. Air Force bases outside the continental U.S. is a plus.
- Knowledge and experience developing web applications on ESRI Enterprise Portals (story maps, dashboards, etc.) is considered a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with automation processes such as ETL tools, python scripting, and/or SQL is highly desired.
- More than 1 year of related work experience is desirable.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department's commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Data Analysis & Collection
Conduct spatial and attribute data analysis and perform spatial modeling in support of CEMML environmental projects and according to established protocols and standard operating procedures (SOPs). Help develop efficient methods and technical processes to complete data management tasks, utilizing automation techniques where practical and evaluating data quality as required. Assist with downloading and processing data from USAF authoritative databases or other program data for distribution to off-site GIS Analysts in support of quarterly data maintenance activities. Collect and process data for large scale data calls and data deliveries. Possible travel to AF locations (as needed) for field data collection using global positioning system technology, to scan paper documents or obtain other resources/information.
Percentage Of Time 35%
Job Duty Category Technical Assistance
Help provide reach back support to both the ISS GIS Analysts and Data Integrity Team Lead, including assisting with trouble-shooting technical issues, learning new software/technology and developing best tools and techniques for GIS processes. As needed, may assist a GIS Analyst with quarterly data maintenance of the SDSFIE compliant environmental geodatabases and GIS Support services for (approximately 3-6) USAF bases to cover for vacancies (or increased workload) in the ISS GIS Analyst position and prepare data for program manager review. Complete data development tasks for newly added program areas, datasets or locations. As needed, complete other CEMML GIS tasks and projects including data digitization, attribute population, and the creation/maintenance of Federal Geographic Data Committee ( FGDC ) compliant metadata.
Percentage Of Time 35%
Job Duty Category Cartography
Create cartographic products to support a variety of environmental projects and tasks, including map books, story maps, assisting with developing and maintaining web applications and data on the AF GeoPortal, and maintaining project map templates or other presentation materials.
Percentage Of Time 25%
Job Duty Category Documentation/Technical Writing
Help prepare written documentation of technical processes, develop applicable project guidance and assist with creating training/support materials.
Percentage Of Time 5%
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications in the announcement to be considered for hire. Apply no later than 11/01/21 for full consideration at jobs.colostate.edu. Mailed or emailed applications will not be accepted.
Upload each of the items below individually as a Word Document (.doc), PDF (.pdf), or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Please note that incomplete applications cannot be considered. Please remove social security numbers and birth dates from application materials. A complete application consists of:
- Statement of Qualifications (one-page letter addressing each qualification described in the announcement) uploaded in the 'Cover Letter' slot.
- Transcripts (for each degree earned that is listed under qualifications) uploaded in the 'Official Transcripts' or 'Unofficial Transcripts' slot.
- Degree Conferral (copy of diploma if transcripts do not include confirmation that degree was awarded) uploaded in the 'Other' slot.
- References - please include within your application contact information for 3 professional references including at least one supervisor.
References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver's License
Search Contact Ben Wasserstein, email@example.com
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or pregnancy in its employment, programs, services and activities, and admissions, and, in certain circumstances, marriage to a co-worker. The University will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity and equal access institution and affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity (https://oeo.colostate.edu/) is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Director of the Office of Title IX Programs and Gender Equity, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-1715, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836, email@example.com.
The Coordinator for any other forms of misconduct prohibited by the University's Policy on Discrimination and Harassment is the Vice President for Equity, Equal Opportunity and Title IX, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, Co. 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any person may report sex discrimination under Title IX to the Office of Civil Rights, Department of Education (https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/howto.html) .
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will also be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the University, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Minimum Requested 3
Maximum Requested 3
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * This position is located in Fort Collins, CO. Are you available to work at this location?
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Official Transcripts