Job DescriptionWe Are Hiring
We are seeking a Senior Director of Clinical Experience Research
to collaborate in our work to create the future of people-centered healthcare.
This role will lead the Experience Research practice for our portfolio of technology-enabled clinical products and will be a co-lead in setting strategy for the Experience Research discipline across the organization.Background
We have established an in-house, interdisciplinary Research and Design team tasked with shaping the experience strategy and design for digital products and technology-enabled services across the entire spectrum of care delivery. This team - in deep collaboration with colleagues in product management, engineering, data science, strategy, clinical operations, and more - uses human-centered design methods
to understand the needs and motivations of our patients and clinicians and bring solutions to life.
Our team of User Experience Researchers, in collaboration with Service Designers, UX Designers, and Communications Designers, aspires to create seamless, end-to-end experiences for those we serve through a cohesive ecosystem of well-designed, user-friendly services, products, and applications.
From problem discovery to product delivery, we put people at the center of everything we do.What You Will Do
As a Senior Director of Experience Research, you will help lead the discipline and help set the strategy and vision for the team and represent it across Ascension. You will collaborate closely with the other leaders of experience research, as well as with design, product, and clinical leaders to prioritize research opportunities, develop research roadmaps and drive strategic alignment to organizational initiatives.
The Experience Research team is responsible for understanding end-to-end patient and provider journeys, challenges, and unmet needs to identify the most impactful opportunities to address. As a comprehensive healthcare system that includes a vast range of healthcare services, this could include the design of virtual care delivery, nurse communications, remote health monitoring, operating room operations, care coordination, and more. The Experience Research team works collaboratively with designers and product managers on field research, concept envisioning, iterative testing, and summative evaluations. While digital solutions are a key element of the solutions we create, we design holistically to address user needs, including consideration for communications, workflows, clinical operations, and care team experience.
Expert knowledge of research methods and experience applying a mixed-methods research approach for digital products and services are critical to this role. You will be part of a growing team and will help drive research excellence through industry best practices. Using powerful insight-to-impact stories and innovation workshops you will evangelize the value of a human-centered design approach in the organization by helping demonstrate both the qualitative and measurable impact that Experience Research has on outcomes. Key Responsibilities
What You Will NeedEducation:
- Set and drive strategy for scaling research and design impact across the organization
- Hire and cultivate research talent
- Oversee, prioritize, and activate exploratory, formative and summative research initiatives
- Scope, staff, and advise complex and strategic research programs, including both those within the Products organization and in an advisory capacity to other teams within Ascension
- Serve as subject matter expert on qualitative and quantitative research methods, human-centered design, and design thinking
- Guide and participate in research activities across exploratory, evaluative, and validation phases, including but not limited to qualitative and quantitative data gathering, contextual inquiry, ethnography, empathy exercises, co-design sessions, synthesis methods, usability evaluations, and A/B testing
- Ensure quality of research work, drive research excellence as well as research team compliance with relevant regulations and best practices
- Disseminate research findings to various teams through communication assets such as reports, presentations, user journey maps, design principles, frameworks, workflows, day-in-the-life scenarios, and use case summaries
- Train Ascension associates in research methods and best practices
- Bachelors degree required.
- Masters degree preferred.
• 7 years of experience required.
• 10 years of experience preferred.
• 5 years of leadership or management experience preferred.Additional PreferencesEducation:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Human Factors, Design Research, Service Design, Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Human Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, Industrial Design, or similar field.
- 7 years of professional experience in user experience research, 10 years preferred.
- 5 years of leadership or management experience preferred.
- Experience building and leading UX Research or Service Design teams and operations
- Strong knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and their application, especially human-centered and design thinking methods
- Experience conducting ethnography, semi-structured interviews, focus groups, contextual field visits, workflow analysis, surveys, usability testing and human factors studies
- Strong knowledge of statistics and research study design
- Experience in human centered design research for clinical operations
- Familiarity with healthcare technology platforms, especially EHRs such as Athenahealth, Cerner, and Epic, or virtual care platforms.
- Experience in complex systems design
- Experience in mixed methods research design, especially survey design, summative research, or statistical analysis.
- Experience representing Experience Research and human-centered design with executive leadership
- Experience working on multiple fast-paced research projects across the product lifecycle
- Experience collaborating with technical and non-technical business stakeholders and managing engagements with external partners
- Experience working with agile design and development teams
- Excellent storytelling and communication skills