TTI Floor Care is home to some of the world's best known floor care brands - Hoover, Dirt Devil, and Oreck. Our dynamic team, located in Charlotte, North Carolina, is passionate about creating innovative products through a user centered design approach. The Senior Design Researcher role at TTI Floor Care will sit within a collaborative user-centered Research & Development group focused on the fuzzy front end of product development. We are tasked with informing the entrepreneurial spirit of the company, influencing and inspiring the direction of the business through strategic and functional findings. In this role you will be leading the research efforts of highly collaborative and diverse teams of Engineers, Industrial Designers, and Product Marketers to inspire and influence key decision makers on new solutions for the floor care industry.Duties And Responsibilities
- Design and execute multi-faceted research plans. These plans typically include qualitative discovery research in homes, primary and secondary research exercises to understand the competitive product set, and evaluation of mock-ups and preliminary concept prototypes in field.
- Build, grow, and maintain a network of users to understand their evolving needs. Establishing strong relationships with our end users is critical to conducting appropriate discovery research, co-creating solutions, and eliciting honest feedback.
- Analyze and synthesize research findings into key insights that inform opportunities for new features, functionalities, and business approaches.
- Plan and facilitate hands-on evaluations, team workshops, and analysis sessions. These participatory co-creation sessions result in a common ground of familiarity with products and their use, while inspiring creativity and collaboration within the team.
- Present research findings in an engaging and concise manner to key stakeholders across the business. You will need to communicate through well-crafted presentations and events that educate and inspire your team through photos, video, diagrams, storytelling and demonstrations.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- You are comfortable approaching potential research participants to introduce yourself and engage in observation and open-ended lines of questioning
- You are curious, not just about your research topic but also the company, your co-workers, and your process
- You are ready to jump in with both feet to try new methods and learn from your mistakes
- You are comfortable working in the ambiguous "fuzzy front end"
- You are proactive and open to changing research plans on the fly based on new information
- You have strong communication skills and can get your ideas across to engineers, industrial designers, and marketers alike
- You link everything back to our core end user's activities and needs to provide insight for developing breakthrough products
- You are a team player, focused on bringing the team along on the journey
- You have passion for the importance of user insights in the product development process and are ready to champion those insights
- You make non-obvious connections and revel in talking about ideas
- Master's degree plus a minimum of three years' experience in Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, Industrial Design, Graphic Design, Business, or Engineering; or Bachelor's degree in the same fields plus five years' experience.
- Minimum two year's experience in product development with an understanding of innovation and design thinking
- Minimum two year's experience using qualitative research methods including observation, interviewing, and contextual inquiry
- Some overnight domestic travel
- Upon an interview, must be prepared to present on a project and its methodology