Michael Baker International is seeking a full-time Senior Archaeologist/Principal Investigator to support our west region cultural resources group. The primary function of the Senior Archaeologist/Principal Investigator is to develop the archaeological team within the western US with a focus on northern California and Nevada by completing business development, staff supervision and development, and project management. Daily tasks include consulting for internal and external clients, preparing technical analysis for CEQA/NEPA environmental documentation, completing Section 106 technical reports and coordination with SHPO, and providing other support for gaining approvals and implementing projects. Must have experience in performing in-depth archaeological research, records searches, monitoring, surveying, testing, data recovery, and excavation related skills. The position includes interfacing with clients and preparing scopes of work and proposals for acquiring new work therefore communication and writing skills are key to success. The majority of time would be spent managing tasks in an office environment. Travel for fieldwork may be required throughout California and Nevada and other western states. PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Master's degree in anthropology (or closely related field).
- Meet the Secretary of the Interior's Professional Qualification Standards for archaeology.
- Registered Professional Archaeologist (RPA)
- 10+ years of experience in cultural resources management, project management, and staff supervisory roles.
- Experience working in California and/or Nevada is preferred
- Qualified as a Principal Investigator under BLM Cultural Resources Use Permits preferred
- Working knowledge of CEQA/NEPA/Section 106 of the NHPA and any other federal and state laws that apply to archaeology.
- Ability to author CEQA/NEPA/Section 106 of the NHPA technical reports including identification studies, testing and excavation reports, monitoring reports, finding of effect reports, memorandum of agreements, and programmatic agreements.
- Demonstrated ability to author CEQA/NEPA environmental document sections for cultural and tribal cultural resources.
- Demonstrated ability to lead archaeological field surveys, testing, excavation, preconstruction meetings and training, construction monitoring, laboratory analysis, and technical report projects.
- Demonstrated experience and competence with crafting and fulfilling archaeological mitigation measures.
- Demonstrated experience in leading Native American consultation efforts for sensitive resource issues.
- Excellent analytical skills and exceptional technical writing ability.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare project proposals with detailed scope task breakdowns, schedules and budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor a team of archaeologists
- Ability to lead tasks and project budgets, including administration procedures, contract compliance, safety plans, and other project management responsibilities.
- Capable of working in both an office and field environment.
- Ability to communicate through all contemporary business mediums (i.e., email, telephone, video conferencing)
- Attention to detail and ability to follow instructions.
- A valid California or Nevada driver's license.
- Ability to travel throughout California, Nevada, and other western states if necessary.
- Best candidate can work out of any of our offices in northern California or Nevada and/or remotely.
: Whether you want to work in the office, at home, or in a hybrid model, we accommodate a variety of preferences. We recognize our employees face many factors when it comes to selecting the best work location, and we are passionate about providing options and flexibility.Michael Baker International, a leading provider of engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, architectural, environmental, construction and program management, has been solving some of the world's most complex infrastructure challenges for more than 80 years with a legacy of expertise, experience, innovation and integrity.
Based in Pittsburgh and with nearly 100 offices nationwide, we partner with clients on everything from roads, bridges, tunnels, mass transit, and airports, to water treatment plants, arctic oil pipelines, environmental restoration and specialized overseas construction. We serve as a trusted adviser to the communities we serve, making them safer, more accessible, more sustainable and more prosperous.
We provide visionary leadership in facilitating transformational change for our clients. Our work delivers differentiating innovations and dedicated experts who challenge the status quo and share a world of diverse experience and an impassioned entrepreneurial spirit. We deliver quality of life.
We Make a Difference.
Michael Baker International is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Michael Baker International provides equal employment opportunity for all persons, in all facets of employment. Michael Baker International maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for any open position for which they feel they are qualified and all will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status.
EEO is the Law. Applicants to and employees of Michael Baker International are protected under Federal law from discrimination.Michael Baker International is seeking a full-time Senior Archaeologist/Principal Investigator to support our west region cultural resources group.