Department: School of Public Health
Location: Texas Medical Center- Houston, TX
Position Type: Full Time/ Non-Exempt
Under general direction of senior research staff, conducts activities to support research projects. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices. This position would work with the Vales + Tu Project; an injury prevention program among Latino Day Laborers.
Position Key Accountabilities:
* Conducts research activities, under general direction, according to research. Research activities may include some or all of the following: participant recruiting and screening, data collection, field interviewer recruiting and training, and field observations.
* Assist in the translation of project materials and adapts documents into culturally appropriate Spanish resources.
* Maintains accurate and timely records to include notebooks, records, databases, etc. as needed by the research project.
* Monitors field outreach activities and supervises the work of the implementation team including interviewers, fidelity checkers, and promotores. Ensures sufficient inventory to support research projects.
* Conducts literature reviews in Spanish and English, assist with survey development, and data coding and analysis.
* Stays abreast of new and updated protocols for research department
* As needed, coordinates meeting activities, takes meeting minutes, and prepares slide presentations. Supports project coordinator, research staff and other assistants to ensure efficient, timely and high-quality results. Answers questions or resolves problems regarding routine or more complex duties.
* Participates in manuscript preparation, assist in writing project reports, and conference presentations.
* Complies with all governmental and University policies, rules, regulation, and codes.
* May participate in continuing education programs, workshops, and seminars.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* General knowledge and some detailed concepts of research field assigned.
* Spanish fluency. Good writing and communication skills in Spanish and English.
* Bachelor?s degree or relevant experience in lieu of education.
* Bachelor's degree in public health or the social sciences (psychology, sociology, anthropology, social work) or relevant experience in lieu of education.
* One year of related experience in a research or clinical lab environment.
* May substitute required experience with equivalent years of education beyond the minimum education requirement.
* Basic understanding of research methods and statistics and/or qualitative data analysis. Familiarity with the Latino Immigrant population, particularly, Latino Day Laborers.
* Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10 pounds frequently and/or up to 10 pounds constantly to move objects.
* This position may include work involving potentially hazardous chemical, biological or radioactive agents.
* This job class may contain positions that are security sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of Texas Education Code § 51.215