Augustana University, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, is seeking a fulltime Director to oversee all operations of the Augustana University Archeology Lab, a financially independent entity established on the Augustana campus in 1982. The Director should think creatively in seeking revenue avenues for the Archeology Laboratory in addition to directing archeological research, cultural resource management (CRM), and historic preservation projects. This position provides an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to build upon a well-established small University-based cultural resource management lab.
The Director is expected to exceed the minimum standards for a professional archeologist as defined by the Secretary of the Interior (36CFR66). Applicant must have CRM experience and a successful history of grant and/or proposal writing as it pertains to funding a CRM office. Individuals in this capacity must have a variety of management and academic skills, and will be expected to conduct major research projects, including preparing proposals and research designs, planning project logistics and managing budgets, supervising staff, both fulltime and student, working with multidisciplinary research teams, and writing and editing CRM finding reports as well as other technical reports.
Necessary skills include:
* Ability to lead research on professional topics and perform cultural resource surveys and inventories.
* Develop and provide National Register eligibility and management recommendations for identified cultural resources.
* Ability to consult on development of Programmatic Agreements and Memoranda of Agreement and Understanding with federal and state agencies.
* Fully conversant with NHPA Section 106 compliance procedures.
* Knowledge of how to apply the National Register criteria for evaluation (NR Bulletin 15) and how to complete the National Register Registration Form and the National Register Multiple Property Documentation Form (NR Bulletins 16A and 16B).
* Knowledge of GIS technology, data collection, illustration of findings and related topics.
* Ability to collect, analyze, and synthesize scientific information from research, monitoring, resources management actions, and other sources of information to solve management challenges of historic resources.
* Ability to assist with Tribal consultation.
In-depth knowledge of laws, regulations, policies, and guidelines regarding the preservation and protection of cultural resources, including the following examples:
* Archaeological Resources Protection Act, as amended
* Antiquities Act, as amended (moved to 54 USC 320301-320303 and 18 USC 1866(b))
* Archaeological and Historic Preservation Act, as amended (16 USC 470aa-mm)
* National Environmental Policy Act, as amended (42 USC 4321, and 42 USC 4331-4335)
* National Historic Preservation Act, as amended (54 USC 300101 et seq.: Historic Preservation)
* National Historic Landmarks Program (54 USC 302102-302108)
* Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act, as amended (25 USC 3001-3013)
* Historic Sites Act, as amended (moved to 54 USC 320101-320106)
* Education: Master's Degree in archeology, anthropology, or a closely related field.
* Minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience on a variety of archeological project types and sizes, including CRM and research grants.
* Experience managing CRM projects, including budgets, scheduling, and scopes of work.
* Exceeds the Secretary of the Interior's Professional Qualifications Standards in archaeology.
* Demonstrated experience in federal, state, and local laws and regulations related to the management of cultural resources (NEPA, Section 106 of the NHPA).
* Has completed all aspects of a project, from pre-field tasks to final report preparation for a variety of project types and sizes.
* Ability to work with tribal consultation specialists.
* Excellent technical writing and editing skills with a record of completing technical reports in a timely fashion.
* Ability to adapt quickly to changes in project needs, agency requests, and more.
* Ability to work independently and collaboratively with a variety of colleagues, clients, and agency representatives.
* Ability to travel and conduct fieldwork for long hours and extended periods, sometimes in inclement weather and rugged terrain, and ability to carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds.
* Ability to organize and track field data, and to collect GPS/GNSS data using Trimble units or comparable equivalents.
* ArcGIS competence.
* Valid Driver's License.
* Ability to be listed on State and Federal Permits.
* Past experience and willingness to teach undergraduate courses desired but not required.
* Ph.D. desired but not required.
* Current listing as a Registered Professional Archeologist (or qualified for RPA status) preferred.
* Experience in Northern Plains and Upper Midwest archeology preferred.
* Experience with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Excel, Power point or reasonable substitutes preferred.
Interacting with students, faculty and leadership with different backgrounds and points of view and a deep appreciation of and respect for academic values and culture must be a top value of the candidate.
You will find a rewarding career opportunity at Augustana, a liberal arts university known for academic excellence and located in a thriving metropolitan community. This position offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits.
*Application Procedure*: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants should complete an Augustana University employment [application](http://www.augie.edu/sites/default/files/u7/JobApplication.pdf), provide a cover letter, statement of diversity, a resume, and the names, addresses and phone numbers of three referees. Application materials are to be sent electronically to: [firstname.lastname@example.org](mailto:email@example.com). Official website: [www.augie.edu](http://www.augie.edu).
Augustana University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Title IX Employer that seeks to recruit, develop and retain a talented and diverse workforce. Augustana University is committed to excellence through diversity and strongly encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community. Submission of official transcripts may be required upon employment. Finalist candidates must satisfactorily complete pre-employment background check.