The Providence Office of Enterprise Experience is seeking to add an innovative, results-oriented and consumer-focused Executive Director of Human Centered Design & Innovation to its team of transformational leaders.
This Executive Director (ED) will bring deep knowledge, substantial expertise and mature strategic leadership to deepen the application of human-centered design methods and design thinking across the health system with a lens toward and an accountability for the end-to-end patient journey. The ED will work with interdisciplinary teams of executives (clinical, operational, strategic, financial) and clinicians to generate and prototype transformative experiences and define the path ahead for remarkable care experiences across various clinical and non-clinical venues. In this role, the ED will combine the insights of a researcher, designer, consultant, business strategist, systems thinker, consumer advocate and internal change agent. The ideal candidate employs empathy, exhibits an inquisitive nature and the ability to question the status quo.
The ED must have proven skills of a matrix organization leader to be successful in the creation and spread of this work. These ED responsibilities span the Providence family of organizations throughout all regions and across lines of business (LOBs). This leader will perform all duties in a manner that promotes team success and reflects the Providence mission, vision, and values of compassion, dignity, justice, excellence and integrity.
The Executive Director, Enterprise Human Centered Design & Innovation will:
- Drive developing and nurturing strong strategic partnerships across the organization, executing the vision and strategy to bring human centered design enterprise-wide,opportunity identification (understanding the needs of the businesses across markets and lines of business), program implementation and delivery as a whole, and maximizes value for the enterprise, its patients, consumers and caregivers.
- Create Care Experience & Service Design project plans, lead cross functional teams, clinical teams and LOBs in design sprints using human-centered and design thinking methodologies
- Use service design tools to build a comprehensive view of the current state of our patient and caregiver experience in different practical journeys, as well as the aspirational & achievable future state
- Identify opportunities to improve the patient experience across different touch-points and articulate the dependencies and complexities across these touch-points
- Conduct user/consumer/patient research; analyze & synthesize findings; engage in ideation & prototyping / piloting; create, design and execute
- Produce Service Design Blueprints, illustrated Journey maps, and Concept Designs, Care/ Service Experience prototypes, Empathy Maps, and Value Proposition Proposals, for the creation and evolution of products and services
- Plan and execute co-creation workshops with system and regional stakeholders and to propose the most viable solution for a given problem
- Prototype services in order to validate ideas and iterate on them using human centered design principles
- Map user journeys and help partners define their processes to enable new and better care experience
- Gain understanding of important issues, challenges, and opportunities for our cross functional partners, various clinical venues and LOBs
- Establish relationships and liaise with key stakeholders throughout the project life-cycle, and able to communicate and envision service concepts to team members, stakeholders, and system/ regional executives by using diverse set of methods & tools that illustrate all the components and touch-points of the current and future experience.
Required experience and education for this position include:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in human-centered design, anthropology, engineering, behavioral studies, or other related disciplines.
- Masters or higher degree preferred
- At least 15 years of experience in healthcare or consumer-service industry .
- More than 10 years of experience with working in innovation, human centered design, product/ program development; General business and design experience
- At least 10 years of experience in healthcare or related industry leadership.
- Proven track record in change management and results-oriented design leadership
- Broad knowledge and understanding of trends and changes taking place in healthcare.
- Academic and applied proven knowledge in one of the following areas: Research, Visual Design & Illustration, Prototyping, Business Design and Value Proposition
- Experience with conceptualization, ideation, and iterative prototyping and experience employing various methods to prototype service concepts such as staging and role-playing approaches
- Knowledge for Customer/Consumer/Human Experience Design and its centrality to the future success of large organizations.
- Strong ability to convene multiple groups with diverse priorities around a shared and unified vision/ objective
- Ability to effectively build relationships with patients, consumers, executives, and other stakeholders through positive interaction and problem identification and resolution
- Demonstrated ability to elicit, analyze and communicate business requirements from multiple customers across disparate departments, functions, and lines of business
- Excellent judgment and decision-making skills
- Proven ability to define, develop, and analyze performance measures and metrics.
- Hands-on experience designing for a variety of consumer -informed solutions using both digital touch-points and non-digital channels
- Analytical and interpersonal skills and experience working within a self-directed culture and ability to successfully navigate ambiguity.
- Exhibits an inquisitive nature and the ability to question the status quo.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God's healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Leadership
Req ID: 312636