COGNITIVE SCIENCES (BL-COGS-IUBLA)Department Information
Established in 1989, the Program in Cognitive Science in the College of Arts and Sciences (The College) at Indiana University brings together faculty and students from many departments to study cognition and information.
At present, the Program of Cognitive Science is comprised of 70 core faculty members, and 78 associated faculty participate in the program. Representation is strong from the departments of psychology, philosophy, computer science, and linguistics. Other participating departments include biology, anthropology, education, library and information science, optometry, speech and hearing, and mathematics.
The College values diversity, equity, and inclusion as a core strength and essential element in the success of its educational mission. For full diversity statement, click here or go to https://college.indiana.edu/about/diversity-inclusion/index.html
More information about the Cognitive Science Program may be found here.Job Summary
- Designs, develops, tests, and configures software systems and computer programs.
- Consults with stakeholders/clients to review existing software solutions; develops new functionality and/or writes new code as needed.
- Collaborates with other technical staff and stakeholders/clients to ensure optimum functionality, performance, accessibility, scalability, and security of supported software.
- Documents software development efforts (changes, new functionality, issue/problem resolution).
- Follows program module test procedures, generates required test data, and executes testing procedures; performs quality assurance checks and fixes bugs accordingly; works with functional users to diagnose problems encountered during testing and provide production support.
- Provides documentation, information, and training through formal and informal communications to end users, departments, and internal staff.
- Adheres to university software development standards and best practices (version control, nightly build systems, test suites, etc.); Researches and stays up-to-date on new industry software development standards, emerging technology, UX/UI design/philosophy, and accessibility standards
Specific Role Responsibilities:
- Develop instructional and research-based software, apps, and web applications for the Cognitive Science Program, including designing, programming, and testing.
- Collaborate with COLL+IT specialists, providing programming and other expertise to other units in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Additionally, with training offered, provide IT user support to and administer systems for Cognitive Science faculty, graduate students and staff.
- Degree in computer science, business systems, or a related discipline
Combinations of related education and experience may be considered.
- Some software development or related experience
- Proficient communication skills
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism
- Demonstrated time management and priority setting skills
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty
Working Conditions / Demands
- Proficiency in Python
- Highly thorough and dependable
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy
- User interface design
- SQL or other database programming
- IT user and systems support
- Server administration
This role requires the ability to effectively communicate and to operate a computer and other standard office productivity equipment. The position involves sedentary work as well as periods of time moving around an office environment and the campus. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.Work Location
Bloomington, IndianaAdvertised Salary
$46,675.20 - $57,771.00Job Classification
Career Level: Core
Job Function: Information Technology
Job Family: Software/App Design, Dev & Eng
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at email@example.com or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us