UPMC Health Plan is among the nation's fastest-growing health plans. It is owned by the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC), a world-renowned health care provider. As part of an organization rooted in medical excellence, UPMC Health Plan is committed to being a partner in health, financial security, and peace of mind. The Consumer Innovation UX team at the UPMC Health Plan creates integrated, supportive, and engaging consumer experiences validated through research. A deep understanding of users' needs and business objectives is fundamental to our success in solving complex problems through innovative design methods. Our vision is to simplify the intersection of health care and insurance through digital experiences that transform people's lives.
What you'll be doing
As a UX Designer at UPMC Health Plan, you're a problem-solver, working to discover, investigate and understand complicated issues. To improve the experience and healthcare journey of our members, you will collaborate with fellow Designers, Researchers, and Product Managers in an interdisciplinary environment.
UX Designers work across the digital product lifecycle, from problem-framing with business stakeholders and user research, to designing experiences, validating designs through testing, and delivering them to software development teams. In your role, you'll have the opportunity to wireframe, prototype, and design interactions, as well as participate in information design and architecture.
New perspectives are critical to our success, and we encourage people from all backgrounds with relevant skills to apply.
What we're looking for
- Successful candidates are able to:
- Plan and manage UX work for a product or project.
- Articulate a design process and understand how it facilitates an iterative approach to user experience and overall product quality.
- Understand business stakeholders' goals and objectives and how they relate to and impact product decisions.
- Lead stakeholder and user research and workgroup sessions using human-centered design methods to frame problems and explore solutions.
- Act as a bridge between business subject matter experts and technical staff to frame problems, visualize, and refine requirements through rapid prototyping.
- Synthesize and effectively communicate qualitative and quantitative discovery/research insights, persuading stakeholders to support recommended design decisions.
- Translate user research to insights that inform product direction.
- Apply human-centered design practices/methodologies in the areas of problem framing, concept generation, prototyping, information architecture, and interaction design.
- Work closely with software developers and QA in a scrum/agile environment.
- Create and deliver effective UX/UI specifications for audiences ranging from SMEs to software developers and technical QA team members.
- Seek to understand and respect others, moving from empathy to compassion in your life and work.
- Are passionate about advocating for customer needs.
- Embrace a growth mindset, always looking for opportunities to learn and improve
- Bachelor's degree in programs such as UX, product development, communication, anthropology, psychology or related discipline from an accredited college or university (comparable degree, associate's degree, and/or experience will be considered, including internships)
- Experience in the health care or insurance industries is a plus
- 3+ years of experience in Research, experience design, consumer product design, service design, product development or related role
- 2+ years conducting qualitative and quantitative research through methods such as interviewing, observation, surveys, participation activities, and document and literature reviews.
- Demonstrate successful synthesis and analysis.
- Experience working across the entire design process from user research, insights, ideation, prototyping and iteration, detailed design and bridging to implementation
- Use captivating channels to build empathy and communicate research insights such as personas, journey maps, and storytelling Experience working across the entire human-centered design process from user research, insights, ideation, prototyping and iteration, experience design, and bridging to implementation.
- Experience supporting digital product development and proven ability to translate business and user problems into solid solutions (preferred).
- Experience in the following with a depth of expertise in at least one area: strategy formation, ethnographic research, user research, storytelling, ideation, concept development, iteration, and rapid testing.
- Working knowledge of design tools including but not limited to Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Axure, UserTesting.com, Optimal Workshop, or equivalent software (preferred).
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran