The research laboratory of Dr. Aanand Naik in the Department of Medicine, Section of Geriatrics and Palliative Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine is seeking a postdoctoral associate. The individual will work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary research team located at the Houston Center for Quality, Effectiveness, and Safety (IQuESt) focused on qualitative and quantitative approaches to understanding shared decision making for older adults with multiple chronic conditions. Candidates will have PhD in health services research, behavioral health, decision sciences, psychology (cognitive, social, or I/O), or a qualitative discipline (sociology or anthropology). The Postdoctoral Associate will lead the design and implementation of data analyses of clinical studies that explore the validation and extension of the Patient Priorities Care intervention: www.patientprioritiescare.org.
Desired methodologies include one or more of the following skillsets: 1) qualitative interviews and surveys of patients and caregivers regarding their patient outcome goals and care preferences and how these priorities inform collaboration with clinicians. 2) participant observation and discourse analysis of patient-clinician encounters and patient-clinician collaborations. 3) cognitive task analysis of clinicians related to how they make clinician decisions that align with patient priorities rather than disease guidelines. 4) chart reviews and natural language processing to analyze triggers for changes in care found in the electronic health record. 5) behavioral health intervention development and testing to further adapt/test the patient priorities care approach.Job Duties
- Perform rigorous and well-controlled experiments as well as data analysis utilize one or more of the desired methodologies above related to understanding the patient priorities care approach.
- Work independently and take a leading role in data collection, analysis, interpretation, and drafting of manuscripts for publication and presentation of research results at professional conferences.
- Participate in grant writing, development, and submission steps related funding of future studies.
- Assist with the conduct and implementation of a funded, multisite randomized clinical trial.
- MD or Ph.D. in Basic Science, Health Science, or a related field.
- No experience.
- PhD in health services research, behavioral health, decision sciences, psychology (cognitive, social, or I/O), or a qualitative discipline (sociology or anthropology).
- No more than two years experience in post-doctoral training.
- Prior first author publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Highly motivated to pursue a career in health services or clinical outcomes research.
- Excellent communication, time management and teamwork skills.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.