The Patient and Market Experience (PME) team at Providence is looking for a customer-focused Executive Director of Human Centered Service Design with the passion, curiosity, creativity, and empathy to build this emerging capability for Providence and to define the future of the patient financial experience. The Executive Director of Human Centered Service Design will work with our interdisciplinary team to transform customer signal into actionable insights, generate and prototype transformative experiences, and define the path ahead for all things patient financial experience. In this role, you will combine the insights of a researcher and the holistic thinking of an experience architect. They will bring your perspective to our human-centered design process and partner with a diverse set of experience leaders in creating a service mentality in our organization. This is an opportunity to be part of a team that is creating positive impact for our patients and the healthcare community by creating experiences that change people's lives for the better.
- Create Service Design project plans, lead cross functional teams in design sprints using human-centered and design thinking methodologies
- Use service design tools to build a comprehensive view of the current state of our patient and caregiver experience in different practical journeys as well as the aspirational state
- Identify opportunities to improve the patient experience across different touch-points and articulate the dependencies and complexities across these touch-points
- Perform user/customer research in partnership with our Voice of the Patient team
- Produce Service Design Blueprints, illustrated Journey maps, and Concept Designs, Service Experience prototypes, Empathy Maps, and Value Proposition Proposals, for the creation and evolution of products and services
- Plan and execute co-creation workshops with stakeholders to propose the most viable solution for a given problem
- Prototype services in order to validate ideas and iterate on them using human centered design principles
- Map user journeys and help partners define their processes to enable new service experience
- Gain understanding of important issues, challenges, and opportunities for our cross functional partners
- Establish relationships and liaise with key stakeholders throughout the project life-cycle and able to communicate and envision service concepts to team members, stakeholders, and management by using diverse set of methods & tools that illustrate all the components and touch-points of the current and future service. Function as a project leader as well as an individual contributor.
- Academic and applied proven knowledge in one of the following areas: Research, Visual Design & Illustration, Prototyping, Business Design and Value Proposition
- Experience with conceptualization, ideation, and iterative prototyping and experience employing various methods to prototype service concepts such as staging and role-playing approaches
- Knowledge for Customer Experience Design and its centrality to the future success of large organizations
Required experience and education for this position include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Human centered design, human computer Interactions, other design, anthropology, or related disciplines; or equivalent educ/experience
- More than 10 years of experience with working in innovation, human centered design, product development, digital as a direct employee or consultant; General business and design experience
- 15 yrs experience consumer services/retail, finance or healthcare oriented company
- Ability to effectively build relationships with customers, executive management, and other stakeholders through positive interaction and problem identification and resolution
- Demonstrated ability to elicit, analyze and communicate business requirements from multiple customers across disparate functions
- Demonstrated excellent judgment and decision making skills
- Demonstrated ability to define, develop, and analyze performance measures and metrics.
- Experience functioning as a project leader as well as an individual contributor
- Hands-on experience of designing for a variety of digital touch-points and non-digital channels
- Analytical and interpersonal skills and experience working within a self-directed culture and ability to successfully navigate ambiguity.
Preferred experience and education for this position include:
- Bachelor's Degree Business Administration; or equivalent educ/experience.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God's healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Leadership
Other Location(s): Oregon-Portland, California-Irvine
Req ID: 293898