Archaeological Field Director (Project Archaeologist - On Call Hourly)
Requisition Number 2021-11281
# of Openings 3
Office Location US-CA-Pasadena
Program Cultural Resources/Archaeology
Hire Type Temporary
About the opportunity
Do you thrive in the pursuit of ensuring excellence in environmental consulting services based in sound science and creative solutions? SWCA Environmental Consultants is expanding their team and looking for dynamic individuals who are following their passion in delivering the highest-quality project work.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking an Archaeological Field Director within our Cultural Resources Program for our Pasadena office. Under supervision of the Archaeological Team Lead and Project Manager, a Field Director performs field and office tasks while working with and supervising crew members.
Field Directors manage all aspects of fieldwork, supervising one or more crews of archaeological surveyors, monitors, or excavators. Field Directors may also assist with office-based tasks, including the preparation of site forms and technical reports. Pay rate will be based on individual qualifications and experience. Some projects include overtime hours or prevailing wage rates.
Anticipated fieldwork will occur throughout southern California, as well as central and northern California and Nevada, including within active U.S. military facilities. The candidate may be asked to submit to background screening in order to work on these facilities. Candidates local to southern California are strongly preferred.
What you will accomplish
- Supervise fieldwork, including archaeological survey, testing, data recovery, and/or construction monitoring and ensures quality and completeness of data collected.
- Data QA/QC, organization, and tracking; field GPS data collection using tablets and/or Trimble units
- Ensure that appropriate preliminary research is conducted and organized prior to fieldwork, and that necessary equipment, staff, and other resources are ready for fieldwork.
- Create and maintain good morale in the field crew and mentor junior staff.
- Field Directors may also assist with office-based tasks, including performing Class I literature reviews, research, site form and technical report preparation.
- Communicate regularly with the Project Manager to ensure that a project's budgetary and timetable needs are met.
- Assist Project Managers with developing and tracking scopes, schedules, and budgets.
- Work with Project Managers and field personnel to create a safe and healthy work environment.
- Take initiative, resolve problems, and create improved procedures to ensure that tasks are completed in the most effective and efficient manner.
Experience and qualifications for success
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Anthropology or a closely related field . Master's Degree is preferred but not required.
- Five years of experience working as a field archaeologist in California and/or the Great Basin.
- Participation in an accredited field school or equivalent experience.
- Ability to pass a Motor Vehicle background screening.
- Ability to travel and conduct fieldwork for long hours (sometimes in inclement weather, rugged terrain, and at high altitudes) and to carry equipment weighing up to 40 pounds
- Twelve months experience at a supervisory level (crew chief or above) in California and/or Great Basin archaeology.
- Qualified for listing on the BLM Statewide California Cultural Use Permit as a Crew Chief.
- Candidates who meet the Secretary of the Interior's Professional Qualifications Standards in archaeology are preferred
- Experience with the application of standard archaeological survey and excavation techniques.
- Possess advanced skills and knowledge in one or more specialty areas. Of particular interest are lithic analysis, geoarchaeology, historical archaeology, and GPS/GIS technology (using Collector, Survey 123, and/or Trimble units and ArcPad or TerraSync software).
- Has completed all aspects of field implementation for a variety of project types and sizes, regions, and agencies.
- Has provided QA/QC review of field documents and site forms.
- Has lead crews of field technicians on a variety of project types and sizes, regions, and agencies. Ability to lead a large crew and to coordinate several small crews on a project.
- Ability to work long hours in the field plus additional hours organizing paperwork daily.
- Ability to make appropriate decisions in the field concerning staff assignments, problem solving, and safety.
- Extremely organized and meticulous with ensuring survey, documentation, and paperwork are complete.
- Ability to provide guidance and critique of crew performance as per company guidelines.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and technical writing.
- Has enough experience to be able to easily deal with the unexpected (changes in weather, changes in client demands, changes in crew makeup or size, etc.).
SWCA Environmental Consultants is an established and flourishing environmental firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental compliance services. SWCA is an employee-owned company composed of environmental professionals who specialize in natural and cultural resource management, environmental planning, and regulatory compliance.
With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance companies and consistently ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms. We offer a team-oriented work environment, and a competitive compensation and benefits package, including an employee stock ownership plan (retirement) for full-time, regular employees. Some benefits are also available to on-call, temporary or part-time employees.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.