Senior Manager Community Relations and Social Performance
* Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
* Make your mark setting up our new, intelligent mine
* Join an encouraging leadership group, committed to your growth and development
* Based at Superior, AZ
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Senior Manager, Community Relations and Social Performance.
The incumbent will play a key role in the stakeholder process to help support passage of project permitting efforts, and in particular managing multi-stakeholder engagement, social impacts, strategic partnerships, coordinating with communications and assisting with the mitigation and offsets. This senior role will not only lead the external affairs, communities and social performance function but play an important role on the senior leadership team supporting a range of functions to deliver a successful project which also adds considerable value to host communities and governments.
This is a great opportunity for a person to develop, implement, and manage a formal, integrated approach to local Government, Community and Social Performance that nurtures a robust social license to operate and conforms to Rio Tinto's The Way We Work.
We are an open, connected global team that includes some of the industry's best and brightest minds. We offer competitive, performance-focused remuneration and a wide range of benefits to reward your contribution. With a global reach, the opportunities to develop and grow your career are broad and exciting.
Reporting to the Project Director - CSP Copper and working in a collaborative community you will be:
* Actively participate as a senior leader of the Resolution Copper project working cross functionally to support project delivery.
* Lead on Environment Social Governance (ESG) matters as they pertain to Resolution Copper and drive organsiational change in this area (effecting Group and Product Group strategies).
* Develop and execute a thoughtful, integrated and strategic approach to external affairs and communities & Social Performance (CSP) focusing building constructive relationships, managing impacts and risks and delivering value to impacted host communities.
* Design and implement a strategic engagement and communications programmes to inform and strengthen relationships with local, county, state and national level stakeholders and Native American tribes.
* Ensure community activities demonstrate active partnership, mutual respect, and long-term commitment without creating dependency.
* Design and / or deliver social and cultural mitigation strategies and programmes in line with schedule and budget requirements.
* Create and maintain positive relations with business, trade, civic, community, and educational organizations while providing current and relevant information about our project.
* Ensure project compliance with the Rio Tinto Communities and Social Performance Standard, specifically to ensure a comprehensive and rigorous approach to a social baseline assessment, social impact and risk assessment, and resulting mitigation and management strategies and ensure this information is completed in a manner consistent and in alignment with the larger project NEPA/EIS and other federal, state and county permits and approvals that will require this information.
* Develop and refine company knowledge specific to community as it relates to place, culture, and relations with Indian Country.
* Develop and maintain a grass roots network of local government, business, labor, education, and community leaders to promote and advance the business objectives of Resolution Copper.
What you'll bring
* A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
* BS degree in public policy, political science, anthropology, social science, liberal arts, business, finance or related field; advanced degrees preferred
* 10+ years of experience working locally with community and/or government groups including Native American leadership, organisations and / or communities in the US and Arizona.
* Demonstrated ability to navigate complex and dynamic operating environments.
* Deep understanding of influence and power dynamics and tensions - i.e. how impacted communities make decisions, who makes decisions, and how political and social dynamics interact.
* Experience working at a grassroots level with deep understanding of community and social development aspects (i.e. in non-profit sector, or social services with local government, education, or in privately run social services).
* An understanding and broad perspective of community life across most sectors of the community from the grassroots to local government officials.
* Able to move innovative ideas and initiatives from conception to realisation.
* Direct experience with social impact assessments and baselines preferred, but analytical and intellectual capacity to understand the logic of these exercises and the ability to manage their implementation is necessary.
* Demonstrated understanding of relevant local government, community and communications issues. Skills in NGO and government liaison and agreement making a plus.
* Demonstrated excellence in planning and executing high level and broad-based regional stakeholder engagement with associated analysis, mapping networks and strategies and integrating with government affairs, corporate outreach, permitting/approvals and communications programs.
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you've helped the world progress.
* A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
* A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards for eligible employees
* Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
* Access top tier family-friendly health and medical programs and pension plan
* Wellbeing benefits
* Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
* Employee Assistance Program
* Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matters
* Leave for all of life's reasons (vacation/annual, paid parental, sick leave)
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress' begins with
a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers - generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium - the world's first to be certified "responsible" - helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you'll be working
The Resolution Copper project is a proposed underground mine 60 miles east of Phoenix, Arizona, near the town of Superior. The project is a joint venture owned by Rio Tinto (55%) and BHP (45%). The ore deposit lies nearly 7,000 feet below the earth's surface. It represents one of the most significant untapped copper deposits today, with an estimated copper resource of 1.787 billion metric tonnes at an average grade of 1.5% copper. The mine has the potential to supply nearly 25% of US copper demand.
The mine will create several thousand direct and indirect jobs, with an economic value of several billion dollars over the estimated mine life. Resolution will also serve as an engine for economic growth, and use best practices to create a safe, sustainable, and environmentally friendly operation. The copper from the mine will be used to produce vital products that modern society depends upon, such as electric vehicles, smartphones, and MRI scanners.
Permitting is well-underway, and the public plays a significant role in planning and approving the project.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we value diversity and inclusiveness at our workplaces. We welcome applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQ+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Rio Tinto participates in E-Verify to confirm work authorization. Please visit http://www.uscis.gov/ for more information.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome - they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.