The Ohio History Connection, formerly the Ohio Historical Society, is a statewide history organization with the mission to spark discovery of Ohio's stories. Chartered in 1885, the OHC carries out history services for Ohio and its citizens focused on preserving and sharing the state's history. This includes housing the state historic preservation office, the official state archives, local history office and managing more than 50 sites and museums across Ohio.
We are currently seeking a Specialist, American Indian Site Programming
to lead the strategy, building, and execution of American Indian-focused programming at our World Heritage eligible American Indian earthwork sites (Serpent Mound, Fort Ancient, Newark Earthworks).
The Specialist will work in consultation and collaboration with federally recognized American Indian Tribal Nations with historic ties to Ohio for the benefit of Tribal citizens, K-12 students, and the general public.
This position is based primarily at Serpent Mound and Fort Ancient; includes remote work, occasional work from Ohio History Center in Columbus, or other sites as needed.Essential Duties and Responsibilities include:
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Expanding American Indian voices and perspectives in programming.
- Deepening participation of Tribal Nations with historic ties to Ohio.
- Developing multi-site programming leveraging resources, expertise, and Tribal engagement across sites.
- Developing a clear strategy and timeline for revising existing programs, building new programs, and developing special event or short-term programming.
- Building site-based experiences and programs with and for historic Ohio Tribal Nations.
- Building relationships with American Indian site-based educational programming experts across the country.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
- Bachelor's degree in public history, education, history, anthropology, American Indian studies or a related subject, or equivalent work experience.
- Experience developing, in collaboration with Tribal experts, educational programming on American Indian histories and cultures experts for K-12 audiences, Tribal audiences, and the general public.
- Knowledge of best practices in site-based educational programming.
- Acumen in program strategy and budget.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience with diverse American Indian histories, tribal protocols, customs, traditions, and cultures.
- Demonstrated experience training adult learners/colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically.
- Exceptional listening, communication, and public presentation skills.